Rush By Numbers
I needed some data for a little side project, so I decided to use Rush songs. In the spirit of Rush geekery, I grabbed a few statistics. In the future, this might be come a dynamic page, but for now....
The data looks at studio albums of original songs only; so Feedback, live albums, and the solo albums not included.
Time and Motion
On their 19 studio albums, Rush recorded 165 songs, with a total playing time of 11 hours, 49 minutes and 40 seconds. Additionally:
- Average song length is 5:24
- The shortest song is "BU2B2" from Clockwork Angels at 1:28
- The longest song is "2112" at 20:34
- Most common song length is 4:51, occuring 4 times ("Losing It", "The Pass", "Double Agent", "Good News First")
- There are 7 other song lengths that occur 3 times each: 4:05, 4:24, 4:37, 4:57, 5:01, 5:10, and 5:15
In terms of song composition, Rush wrote at least one song in 22 of the possible 24 keys.
- The only two keys not used: A# minor (B flat minor) and A flat (G#)
- 36% of their songs are in the key of D or G. They wrote 30 songs in each.
- 24% of their songs are in A and C, with 20 songs each.
- 78% of their songs are in just 6 keys: D, G, C, A, Am, Em. That's 129 songs in 6 keys.
- The 30 songs in the key of D represents 3 hours of Rush's music
- The key of G makes up an additional 2 hours, 29 minutes
- Combined, the two keys account for 46% (5 hours, 29 min) of the total playing time.
Speed of Song
Finally, for tempo, Rush's song catalog would be allegro (fast; perhaps rushed?)
- Average BPM is 125
- Slowest tempo is 78 BPM in the songs "Out of the Cradle" and "Halo Effect"
- Fastest song is "Force Ten" at 169 BPM
- Most common tempo is 120 BPM which occurs in 13 songs
- Neiter Presto the album nor song is presto
The data has been compiled by me from the following sources. You can view the raw data.